Hi Odyssey families!
I hope you are all having a great summer. I stopped into the classroom today and wow! There is a serious cleanup underway and I can not wait to see how it looks come September. The garden is also magnificent, so thanks to those who have kept it watered and weeded all summer :)
Our teachers have a vision for a freshened up, de-cluttered, and cozy learning environment and have some awesome ideas for how to make it happen, so I am just going to list them here and let you parents peruse it and get your problem-solving gears going on how we can make as much of it happen as possible over the next month.
- Painting the Computer Lab - You know, the dreary, windowless computer lab? If you have any time or energy for this project it could be fun to do with friends. Anne even has some ocean themed silk hangings to spruce it up once it is painted.
- Hanging Quilts - There are some nice quilts in the classroom that would look good on the walls if anyone has knowledge about how to hang them without putting nail holes in them.
- Solid color fabric/ old sheets to cover the bulletin boards - If you have any or are willing to donate some to use as background for the large bulletin boards rather than colored paper, let me know.
- Curtains - Smallish ones with pressure rods to cover some of the shelving and a large panel or panels to hang from the ceiling to create a bit of a screen between the pit and the entry. If you have extra lying around or are crafty and can make some, let me know!
- Pillow covers - Again, crafty people, we need you! It would be great to get all of those nice big pillows in the loft some new fabric around them.
- Campfire pillows - Super crafty pinterest types - this is for you!!! Anne saw pillows shaped like campfire logs and fire that would be awesome to have in the nature-themed classroom for the kids to play with and lay on. This is such a cute idea- want to give it a try???
- PLANTS!!!!!! - If every family brought in one houseplant, think how great our indoor air quality would be! If you would like to donate a plant, let me know and I will figure out a way to collect them all and drop them off sometime when the class is open.
- Baskets/Jars for holding learning materials : Anne got some from Rotary, but we need more. Plastic bins are going out, and cute baskets and jars are coming in. Look around the house and see if you have some to spare, and I will figure out how to collect and deliver them.
- Lamps - If you have table lamps you aren't using, they could use them to brighten up the classroom. It is all about the ambience this year :)
- 2 Step Stool - Encouraging those first graders to wash hands would be easier if they could reach the sink. Let me know if you have an extra lying around.
- Music player with USB port - There is currently a music player, but one with a USB port would be ideal. Dance parties?
- Digital Camera or old Smartphone with Camera - to be used as the "classroom camera" to put Odyssey photos into a dropbox.
- Someone with a table saw? - There is a magnetic board that is one inch too wide to hang in the classroom. Could you cut it and help hang it? Other ideas include donating a new magnetic board, or painting the wall with magnetic paint. Any ideas?
Thanks for considering! Let me know if you can help with any of the items on this wishlist, and let's pour some love into getting this classroom ready. And get some volunteer hours too!
(Zack 5/6, Abby 3/4, AND Madeline 1/2 :)